What should I do if an uninsured driver hits me?

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2019 | Uncategorized |

Car crashes occur from time to time. Whether the wreck was serious or not, it can be comforting to know that your insurance or the other driver’s insurance will likely help pay for any medical bills or car repairs.

However, not all drivers have car insurance, even in states where minimum liability coverage is required by law, such as California. In 2015, about 15 percent of California drivers did not have any car insurance. Even if you are in line with the law and have car insurance, you could still be involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist. If you are, it is important to know what you should do next.

How to handle an accident with an uninsured driver

When an uninsured driver crashes into your vehicle, you should call the police. Before you know whether the other driver has insurance or not, calling the police is a good idea. The police will file a report and include pertinent details that can help you later on.

Next, you will want to get as much information from the other motorist as you can. You will want to document the make and model of their vehicle and their contact information. At this point, you may want to take photos and identify if any witnesses are in the area.

Inform your insurance company

Because the other driver is uninsured, your insurance company may be footing the medical and repair expenses. Be sure to let your insurance company know the other person was uninsured. Have all of the information you gathered at the scene ready.

If you were injured as a result of the accident, getting in touch with an experienced attorney is a good idea. Your lawyer can help you put your case together and gather evidence for you. All of this will help support your claim in court.